Responses for many diseases can be found in the Brazilian biodiversity. To find out it, researchers from Brazilian Agricultural Research Corporation (Embrapa) and the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), have been testing plants from several biomes. Some species have already been proven effective against bacteria and fungi that cause infections.
The coordinator`s project in Rio, the chemical Humberto Ribeiro Bizzo have studied since 2012 the properties of plant species in the laboratory. During this period, found that sacaca (source of the Amazon forest) gave positive results against a bacterium that is found in hospital infections and against candidiasis, a women prevalent disease.
“Our purpose is to find a new substances or extracts, which have antimicrobial action or resistance to some antibiotics, or direct actions in disease control, as is the case of candidiasis that affect most of the population in warm and wet countries”, explains Ribeiro, it would be the first step in creating new drugs.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 3 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 3 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 3 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 3 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 3 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 3 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 3 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 3 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 3 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 3 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- 132,295 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at email@example.com