TakePart – A number of major grocery chains announced today they’re not waiting for the Food and Drug Administration to approve AquaBounty’s genetically modified salmon. Instead? They’ve made a pledge to their customers that they will not carry the controversial fish in their stores—regardless of what the FDA decides. This marks the first organized pledge made by a group of grocers to not carry GMO seafood.
Trader Joe’s; its sister company, Aldi; Whole Foods; regional chains Marsh Supermarkets (with stores in Indiana and Ohio) and PCC Natural Markets in Washington state; and co-ops in Minnesota, New York, California, and Kansas have signed on with the “Campaign for Genetically Engineered (GE)- Free Seafood.” That’s over 2,000 individual stores, and more are likely to join in.
The genetically engineered salmon, developed by Massachusetts-based AquaBounty Technologies, has been seeking FDA approval for years. The Atlantic salmon is genetically altered with a growth-hormone gene taken from a Chinook salmon, and a genetic “on-switch” from an ocean pout, which allows the salmon to continue making growth hormnes during cold weather.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 4 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 4 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 4 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 4 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 4 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 4 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 4 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 4 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 4 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 4 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- 133,576 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at email@example.com