FAPESP – Agricultural staples richer in vitamins and nutrients than those currently consumed, such as a cassava with 40 times more vitamin A than the typical one, for example, are now in the final phase of field testing at the Campinas Institute of Agronomy (IAC). In addition, varieties of eight food species – pumpkin, rice, sweet potatoes, beans, cowpeas (black-eyed peas), maize (corn), cassava and wheat – richer in iron and zinc and with greater resistance to disease and climate change are already on the market or in the final phase of development at the Brazilian Agricultural Research Corporation (Embrapa). This is a process known as food biofortification, carried out through classical breeding methods that seek to crossbreed different varieties, such as plants with disease resistance, a high yield and good nutritional characteristics with more vitamins and minerals. The work is slow and time consuming and may take 10 to 15 years.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Urban Agriculture – Dream, Reality or Fashion?
- Biotecnologia Animal e a Saúde Humana
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 7 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 7 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 7 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 7 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 7 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 7 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 7 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 7 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 7 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 7 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- 152,977 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at email@example.com