Biomassa & Bioenergia – A project developed by the Agronomic Institute of Paraná (Iapar), with the support of Companhia Paranaense de Energia (Copel), seeks viability of cultivation of microalgae to produce biodiesel from oil extracted from aquatic microorganism that can also generate other substances of commercial interest.
According to the researcher Diva de Souza Andrade, cultivation of microalgae has several interesting features: relatively low costs for harvesting and transportation and lower water usage compared to cultivation of other plants. Microorganisms also have greater photosynthetic efficiency than traditional plants and can be grown in fresh or salt water.
Further, the microalgae are effective fasteners and can use CO2 as a carbon source the emitted CO2 in industrial processes and thermal generation. “The cultivation can be done in conditions not suitable for the production of conventional crops and microalgae can fix carbon dioxide, which reduces air pollution,” says the researcher.
Diva de Souza says that research done sequencing the complete genome of a strain of microalgae isolated in Paraná continental waters “is one of the great advances of the project. These data will be very valuable for future work to improve the species, aiming to increase productivity, “she says.
PILOT – The researcher Adriano Rausch Souto developed a pilot plant for cultivation of microalgae. There are four interconnected tanks coated vinyl with 9000 liters capacity and agitation continues, with recycling of the culture medium. The model tests the growth of microalgae and their potential for producing biomass for extraction of oil and other compounds of economic interest.
As the cultivation of microalgae requires high spending on nutrients, an alternative for cost reduction is the use of residues from agricultural sources, livestock or industrial. “The residue liquid swine biodigested may be a viable option in the cultivation of microalgae in order to produce biomass and lipid production for bioenergy. This can be an economical option for this activity and environmental sustainability,” says researcher Iapar Antonio Costa.
Biologist Elisangela Angelo Andrade, Copel said that company is a partner in the project because it meets the company’s strategic direction to invest in research, development and innovation with value added. “There is great interest in microalgae as these are promising sources of biodiesel and biogas, which can be used to generate electricity,” said Diva de Souza.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 4 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 4 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 4 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 4 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 4 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 4 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 4 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 4 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 4 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 4 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- The seven challenges of agribusiness - the journey of the next 10 years
- Strategies for Swine Manure Management in Brazil
- The importance of biosecurity in poultry farming in the State of Santa Catarina, Brazil
- The New Face of Brazilian Pig Production – General Information
- The New Face of Brazilian Pig Production - Integration System
- 137,907 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at email@example.com