By Michael Gidney
The Guardian – The on-going horsemeat scandal highlights just how dangerously out of control many global food supply chains are. It’s out of control for consumers in rich countries who now throw away an amount of food equivalent to what sub-Saharan Africa produces in a year, and are losing as many life years from obesity as the poor are from malnutrition. It’s out of control in the way food is traded and distributed, with millions of producers struggling for market access in increasingly concentrated commodity markets, with high price volatility exacerbated by financial speculation. And, most critically for the mission of organisations like Fairtrade, it’s out of control for smallholder farmers themselves, who, despite producing more than 70% of the world’s food, scandalously still represent more than half of the world’s hungriest people.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 4 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 4 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 4 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 4 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 4 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 4 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 4 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 4 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 4 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 4 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- Strategies for Swine Manure Management in Brazil
- The importance of biosecurity in poultry farming in the State of Santa Catarina, Brazil
- The increasing internationalization of science offers many benefits, but also has limitations.
- A Cost-Benefit Analysis of Biogas Plant
- Biodiesel production in Brazil reached 2.7 billion liters
- 137,353 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org