By Dinorah Erenos
FAPESP – Suzano, a pioneer in the manufacturing of paper and pulp from eucalyptus, is investing in various research fronts simultaneously in its search for innovations. “In a partnership with a European university, we’ve developed a lignin-based polymer for different applications in the market,” says chemical engineer, Fábio Carucci Figliolino, 52, executive manager of Suzano’s industrial research area, who does not reveal all the details of the new discovery. Lignin is an organic polymer responsible for the rigidity of the cell wall of plants. With the University of Nova Lisboa, in Portugal, and the University of São Paulo (USP), in São Carlos, the company made a paper transistor for use in packaging. The State University of Campinas (Unicamp) is a partner in several projects, including the development of a new natural polymer-based film for packaging, which produces a fat barrier.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 5 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 5 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 5 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 5 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 5 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 5 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 5 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 5 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 5 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 5 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- The seven challenges of agribusiness - the journey of the next 10 years
- Nature Special: "Can Science Feed the World?"
- The importance of biosecurity in poultry farming in the State of Santa Catarina, Brazil
- Sustainable Agriculture in Brazil - Advances and Future Challenges
- Embrapa Swine and Poultry helps format a reference center in biogas
- 141,766 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at email@example.com