Biofuel consumption is increasing and in order to meet EU targets, alternatives to first and second generation biofuels are being examined. The use of micro-algal biomass in the production of biofuel is an area of research which has received attention in recent years. Traditionally, microalgae are commercially grown using synthetic fertilisers, the price of which is linked with rising oil prices. An alternative to the use of inorganic fertiliser is to use surplus agricultural manures in their raw state, bi-products of anaerobic digestion, or runoff and artificial drainage waters, all of which have variable nutrient contents within and across source types. Many studies have shown that manures containing a high nutrient content e.g. pig and poultry manures, or bi-products from anaerobic digestion, are potentially viable sources of nutrients to grow algae. Feasibility issues prevail such as variable nutrient contents amongst and across source types, transparency issues and early and sustained nutrient losses during the storage phase. Agitation and efficient nutrient testing before use are important. In Ireland, pig and poultry manures, dairy dirty water, artificial drainage or runoff waters where coupled with agitation during storage to prevent P precipitation and a CO2 source, all have potential to be used in the future.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 2 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 2 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 2 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 2 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 2 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 2 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 2 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 2 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 2 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 2 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- Genetic Resources Management at the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization
- The seven challenges of agribusiness - the journey of the next 10 years
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional
- Energy and Waste Forests: Bio-oil and biochar
- Biodiesel - Feedstocks and Processing Technologies
- 120,620 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org