Nature – Conservationists are far from able to assist all species under threat, if only for lack of funding. This places a premium on priorities: how can we support the most species at the least cost? One way is to identify ‘biodiversity hotspots’ where exceptional concentrations of endemic species are undergoing exceptional loss of habitat. As many as 44% of all species of vascular plants and 35% of all species in four vertebrate groups are confined to 25 hotspots comprising only 1.4% of the land surface of the Earth. This opens the way for a ‘silver bullet’ strategy on the part of conservation planners, focusing on these hotspots in proportion to their share of the world’s species at risk…. Read More.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 3 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 3 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 3 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 3 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 3 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 3 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 3 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 3 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 3 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 3 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- The seven challenges of agribusiness - the journey of the next 10 years
- Fuel from Chicken Feathers?
- Pros and Cons Debated of Increasing Biosecurity in Labs Working With Engineered Bird Flu Viruses
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional
- Scientists explore connections between astronomy and biology
- 129,675 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at email@example.com