By Oliver Balch
The Guardian – Some people seem blind to the planet’s warning signs. You know the type. Climate change is ‘all hyperbole’. Water scarcity, ‘an excuse to drink beer’.
Try this on them: by 2050, the world will have at least two billion more mouths to feed. In a good scenario, their supermarket bill is going to go through the roof. In a bad scenario, certain foods might just disappear from the aisles.
In the past three decades, the occurrence of floods worldwide has quadrupled. At the same time, droughts are happening more frequently and lasting longer. That all messes seriously with the food chain.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 2 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 2 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 2 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 2 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 2 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 2 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 2 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 2 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 2 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 2 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- The seven challenges of agribusiness - the journey of the next 10 years
- The debate about the definition and control of exotic plants and animals heats up in São Paulo
- Scientists Refute Claim That Genetically Modified Corn Caused New Insect Pest
- Brazilian agriculture: The miracle of the cerrado
- Taiwan’s largest solar powered pig farm opened
- 120,035 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org