By Camila Pitombeira
Epamig – Developed through the Program for Genetic Improvement of Soybean by the Food Research Company of Minas Gerais (Epamig), in partnership with Embrapa and the Triangle Foundation, the soybean cultivar BRSMG 800A is especially geared for human consumption, with milder flavor, seed of larger size and higher protein content. This cultivar is similar to “carioquinha” beans in appearance and way of preparation. This variety of Soybeans also presents resistance to bacterial pustule, stain-eye-frog and stem canker, besides having an average productivity of 3 ton/ha.
The variety BRSMG 800A is a medium maturity cultivar in Minas Gerais (maturity group 8.0), growth is determined, lodging resistance, colored purple flower, gray pubescence, seed coat and hilum pale brown, with an average height of plants of 72cm, the flowering ranging from 58 to 62 days and the cycle of 120-140 days. It has long juvenile period, resistance to dehiscence of pods, seeds coarse, with an average weight of 100 seeds around 18.8 g. The oil content is around 20.10%, protein 38.25% and 13.34 mg/100g of iron, explain Ana Cristina Juhasz, Epamig’s researcher.
According to the researcher, the variety was developed to meet the Brazilian population which has restriction of the exotic flavor of common’ soybean and that have not in the habit of consuming soy in the form of grains. This can be cooked with beans or alone. When cooked in isolation, the grains remain whole. Can be sautéed, used in salad dressings and also be prepared as “tropeiro”. It is a beautiful and healthy dish.
In relation to cultural practices, there is no difference compared to other commercial cultivars. However, planting should follow some recommendations based on the characteristics of the region where it will be grown.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 3 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 3 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 3 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 3 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 3 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 3 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 3 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 3 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 3 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 3 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- The seven challenges of agribusiness - the journey of the next 10 years
- The Economist - "Brazil's Agricultural Miracle"
- The New Face of Brazilian Pig Production - Integration System
- The New Face of Brazilian Pig Production – Social and Economic Importance
- Itaipu and Embrapa lead projects to increase the use of biogas and no-tillage
- 131,831 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org