Labex Korea – The report Resilient People, Resilient Planet: A Future Worth Choosing, the High-Level Panel for Global Sustainability issued 56 recommendations to put into practice sustainable development and highlights it on the agenda of economic policies. The 22-member panel, created by UN Secretary General in August 2010, is co-chaired by the President of Finland Tarja Halonen and President of South Africa Jacob Zuma. “With the possibility that the world is plunging further into recession, policy makers are hungry for ideas that can help them navigate through these perilous times,” said President Zuma. “Our report makes clear that sustainable development is more important than ever given the multiple crises that beset the world today.”
The report emphasizes the importance of science as a guide in decision making on issues of sustainability. The report adds that the ‘new biotechnologies green’ could have a ‘valuable role in enabling farmers to adapt to climate change, improve resistance to pests, restore soil fertility and contributing to the diversification of rural economy’.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 4 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 4 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 4 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 4 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 4 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 4 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 4 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 4 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 4 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 4 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- The seven challenges of agribusiness - the journey of the next 10 years
- Sustainable Agriculture in Brazil - Advances and Future Challenges
- Embrapa - Current and Future Challenges in Bioenergy Development and Use in Brazil
- "Brazil - The Natural Knowledge Economy"
- Global Challenges for Agricultural Biotechnology
- 137,366 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at email@example.com