Avicultura Industrial – The Embrapa Cattle Southeast just completed the filing of its first international patent in Canada and the United States. The technology is being patented is a method for early identification of animals with high potential for soft flesh. The identification of these animals is done by means of molecular markers, a kind of “snippets” of DNA responsible for certain characteristics.
The technology was developed in partnership with the University Federal of São Carlos (UFSCar), and the Foundation for Research Support of São Paulo (FAPESP), and is part of the Network’s research Bifequali.
Routed to Nellore, the main basis for crosses today in Brazil, the method of identification markers have broad market, since the meat tenderness is a major challenge for this breed. For the researcher from Embrapa Luciana Regitano, who led the study, it is another tool to assist the productive sector in the selection of the best animals, besides the classical tools for genetic improvement.
The scientist points out that this year should be released other technologies of the same type by Bifequali’s network, involving markers for feed efficiency and meat quality characteristics.
The filing of the patent had already been done in Brazil in September 2010 with on the INPI (National Institute of Industrial Property), with support from the Office of Technological Innovation at Embrapa. After the deposit, the technology goes through tests to ensure that the charter is granted or not, meanwhile, it can be marketed.
Negotiations are underway with companies to license the method and kit of molecular markers. Besides the benefits to the productive sector, will be generate royalties to Embrapa, FAPESP and UFSCar, funds that will be reversed in further research.
According to Helio Omote, an analyst responsible for patents process in Embrapa Cattle Southeast, the choice of Canada and the United States was made after an assessment of the potential market in these countries for the commercialization of this kind of technology. In Brazil, it is estimated that the market is 40 million dollars annually. The patent application is necessary to protect and ensure the right of technology and its marketing. The Partnership with business is also essential for the Embrapa’s research results may become a final product. “We are transforming the resources invested in this research to a social benefits and practical application,” said Omote.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 3 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 3 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 3 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 3 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 3 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 3 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 3 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 3 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 3 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 3 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- The seven challenges of agribusiness - the journey of the next 10 years
- The importance of biosecurity in poultry farming in the State of Santa Catarina, Brazil
- Scientists explore connections between astronomy and biology
- Free to Speak, Kawaoka Reveals Flu Details While Fouchier Stays Mum
- International Symposium on Agricultural and Agroindustrial Waste Management in Brazil
- 132,385 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org