Biomass & Bioenergy – The 8th annual report of the Corporate Knights released in January, on the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, said that Natura, a Brazilian cosmetics company, is the 2nd company most sustainable in the world. The document mentions the 100 corporations that have been outstanding with regard to sustainability, three of which are Brazilian – Natura (2nd), Bradesco (61st) and Petrobras (81st).
Corporate Knights is a Canadian firm for media and finance, dedicated to promoting responsible business practices. To create the ranking, the company’s research group worked with about 400 candidates and selected the 100 most sustainable been of 11 environmental, social and governance issues.
The first place went to Novo Nordisk, the Danish drug company. The recipe for success: a neat philosophy in business, a significant reduction in carbon footprint and selling discount medicines to developing countries.
Natura stood out on the following criteria: energy productivity, measured as output per gigajoule of energy consumed, waste productivity, measured per ton of waste. According to Alessandro Carlucci, CEO of the company, “Our responsibility increases the size of our pride with such recognition.” That is, a continuous improvement.
In the race to include sustainability in the corporate world, Brazil is gradually reaching a good position among the industrialized nations. It is important that other Brazilian companies follow the good example and put the head in eco-efficient practices.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 4 years ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 4 years ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 4 years ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 4 years ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 4 years ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 4 years ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 4 years ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 4 years ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 4 years ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 4 years ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- 138,840 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org