Mendeley is a free social Web application designed for managing and sharing research papers, discovering research data and collaborating online. It has many associated functions to connect researchers with common interests, opening new avenues for interaction, knowledge sharing and discovery. Research articles can be fed to Mendeley, that has an intuitive, easy to use interface. It automatically extracts data, keywords, cited references, etc, creating a searchable database that is easily accessed and shared.
The main possibilities offered by Mendeley are:
- creation of your personal bibliographic database using automatic extraction of document details and cited references from PDFs, as well as automatic retrieval of additional information from CrossRef, PubMed, ArXiv, etc;
- possibility to read, full-text search, annotate, and highlight your PDF research papers in Mendeley’s integrated PDF viewer;
- synchronize your bibliographic database across multiple machines, share it with colleagues, manage it online, or embed bibliographies on blogs and websites;
- quickly cite your papers in Microsoft Word or OpenOffice Writer and create bibliographies with a single click;
- capture citations from websites using Mendeley’s cross-browser Web Importer;
- synchronize your digital library with your private Mendeley Web account and across multiple computers;
- manage your private article library online and full-text search across all your research papers;
- Web Importer that allows easy one-click capturing of citations from web pages like PubMed, ArXiv, Google Scholar, ISI Web of Knowledge, and SpringerLink, among others.
And there is a lot more! Visit the Web site of Mendeley to learn about all features of this interesting resource for information management and collaboration.