FAPESP – Consumers are never going to notice that in March and April the ethanol found in some fuel pumps at service stations is not the ethanol traditionally produced from sugarcane. The ethanol will have come from sorghum, a plant of the grass family that sugarcane also belongs to. This situation is predicted by researcher André May, from the Corn and Sorghum Unit of Embrapa (the Brazilian Enterprise for Agricultural Research), who is monitoring various experiments related to introducing sorghum into the country’s energy matrix. Since 2007, Embrapa has been working toward developing sorghum crops during the sugarcane off-season. Embrapa plans to launch three new varieties of this grass this year for the production of ethanol.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Technical Cooperation Project – Adaptation and development of structure optimization and energy-saving climate control techniques for greenhouse vegetable production
- The success of sugarcane is the fruit of pioneering science and technology, study concludes
- Contentious Transgenic Maize Paper Retracted
- China’s Publication Bazaar
- Is Income Set to Become Dominant Driver of Global Food System?
- Water management in Brazil is critical, affirm researchers
- Brazil Cotton and Products Update
- Development of Ante- and Post-mortem Meat Inspection of Pigs as a Welfare Diagnostic Tool (PIGWELFIND):
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 8 months ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 8 months ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 8 months ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 8 months ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 8 months ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 8 months ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 8 months ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 8 months ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 9 months ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 9 months ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- 104,989 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at email@example.com