By Oliver Balch
The Guardian – Some people seem blind to the planet’s warning signs. You know the type. Climate change is ‘all hyperbole’. Water scarcity, ‘an excuse to drink beer’.
Try this on them: by 2050, the world will have at least two billion more mouths to feed. In a good scenario, their supermarket bill is going to go through the roof. In a bad scenario, certain foods might just disappear from the aisles.
In the past three decades, the occurrence of floods worldwide has quadrupled. At the same time, droughts are happening more frequently and lasting longer. That all messes seriously with the food chain.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Pesticide Study Sparks Backlash
- H7N9 kills 2 more, causing new infections in China
- New Programme to Support Animal Welfare at Slaughter
- Brazilian researchers develop technique for mass breeding of stingless bees
- Meat Products in the European Union 2013-2023
- Agriculture can be an ally to biodiversity conservation
- Computer modeling helps to improve the quality and microbiological safety of food
- The challenges to biofuel expansion
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 11 months ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 11 months ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 11 months ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 11 months ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 11 months ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 11 months ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 11 months ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 11 months ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 12 months ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 12 months ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- 109,141 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at email@example.com