Biomass & Bioenergy- After 10 years of activities, the project “Runners of the Atlantic Forest” celebrating the formation of a large with 700 hectares forest corridor linking the two principal of Conservation’s Units biome in Pontal do Paranapanema (extreme west of Sâo Paulo), the Ecological Station “Mico Leâo Dourado” Black (ESEC-MLP) and the State Park “Morro do Diabo” (PEMD).
This is the first phase of the project started in 2002, by the IPÊ (Ecological Research Institute), with coordination of researcher Dr. Laury Cullen Jr. The objective is to conserve the biodiversity of the Atlantic Forest through the restoration in Permanent Preservation Areas (APPs) and Legal Reserve (RL) of rural properties.
The project aims to reconstruct the landscape of a region well known for dispute over land ownership and the degradation for the green areas, today summarized as “patches of forest,” who harbor endangered species like the black lion tamarin, jaguar painted, the ocelot, among others.
“One of the problems for the survival of these species is precisely the loss of habitat and corridor is one of the ways to meet this need to travel between protected areas, both for food and for animal breeding,” said Laury Cullen Jr.
Altogether, 1.4 million of trees were planted to reconnect the southern portion of PEMD (37 thousands hectares) with one of four fragments of ESEC-MLP (7 thousand hectares). The last 93 hectares were planted in December 2011 and monitored by the IPE till establish themselves as forest. The corridor runs through the Rosanela’s farm, located between the two Conservation Units. The planted area was part of an environmental liability of the property, according to the current Brazilian’ forest code.
To choose the strategic areas for planting, the IPÊ follows his “Map of Dreams,” a study conducted by its researchers to identify priority areas for forest restoration, significant for the biodiversity, therefore, need to be reconnected. The next challenge now is to make a new corridor, the northern portion of the PEMD, planting 5 thousands hectares of forest in APPs and RLs of eleven major properties.
“To happen we need the support of the owners of these lands. The benefit is for all involved, as the major producers suited to your area according to the law, which brings economic advantages, especially to them; local communities gain by selling the seedlings their nurseries and forest is restored along with all the environmental services that all humans need, “added Cullen.
The planting of the corridor was conducted with support of Petrobras and BNDES, as well as International and National partnerships companies such as Natura, CESP, Duke Energy over a decade of work. In the restoration, the project has a working community involvement, with training of middle and small landowners in sustainable agriculture, environmental education, and development of community nurseries, many suppliers of seedlings for planting.
Embrapa Labex KoreaThis is the weblog of Labex Korea, an international cooperation program of the Brazilian Agricultural Research Organization, Embrapa. More here.
Partner OrganizationLabex Korea is hosted by the Rural Development Administration.
- Technical Cooperation Project – Adaptation and development of structure optimization and energy-saving climate control techniques for greenhouse vegetable production
- The success of sugarcane is the fruit of pioneering science and technology, study concludes
- Contentious Transgenic Maize Paper Retracted
- China’s Publication Bazaar
- Is Income Set to Become Dominant Driver of Global Food System?
- Water management in Brazil is critical, affirm researchers
- Brazil Cotton and Products Update
- Development of Ante- and Post-mortem Meat Inspection of Pigs as a Welfare Diagnostic Tool (PIGWELFIND):
- Blocking insect digestion to control pests wp.me/pD58e-1FV 8 months ago
- Fairtrade Foundation report damns treatment of smallholder farmers wp.me/pD58e-1Ga 8 months ago
- Transgenic eucalyptus yields 20% more than conventional wp.me/pD58e-1HK 8 months ago
- At least 70% of Earth’s species still unknown wp.me/pD58e-1I9 8 months ago
- Vitamin Enriched Cassava wp.me/pD58e-1Fm 8 months ago
- Do plants 'veto' bad genes? wp.me/pD58e-1FD 8 months ago
- Empowering smallholder farmers to create sustainable change - live discussion wp.me/pD58e-1Gj 8 months ago
- Brazilian soybean biodiesel emits 70% less greenhouse gases than fossil diesel wp.me/pD58e-1HC 8 months ago
- Microalgae oil can turn biofuel wp.me/pD58e-1Hz 8 months ago
- Simple Physics May Limit the Size of Leaves wp.me/pD58e-1Gy 8 months ago
Browse by Categories
Pages in the Weblog
See posts by dates
- Green Technology: The 10 leading countries
- Optimization methods applied to renewable and sustainable energy: A review
- Brazilian universities make scientific production available on the internet
- The seven challenges of agribusiness - the journey of the next 10 years
- Researchers create biosensor to detect pesticide
- 104,970 hits
Contact UsYour comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. E-mail us at email@example.com